Ted Gibson and team styled the hair for Carmen Marc Valvo’s 25th Anniversary NYFW show, showcasing his Spring 2015 collection. Here’s how to get the look!
I think this is the 6th year that I’ve been able to work with Carmen, and throughout our relationship we’ve been able to create some amazing looks together. I’m so honored to be a part of this 25th Anniversary show! For this collection, Carmen’s inspiration was the 50s –Old Hollywood Glamour a la Ginger Rogers, Bette Davis and Carey Grant – the American Dream! Being that this is his 25th Anniversary collection, he had to make it a Silver Jubilee, incorporating black, white and silver throughout his collection. Taking all of this into consideration, I knew I wanted to make this season’s hair super special, so I thought it would be chic to incorporate a silver streak into the hair look for a 50 Shades of Gray moment (Ha!) I knew that this soft, side swept chignon for the women was perfect to bring out that Old Hollywood glamour of the collection, with the silver streak bringing it into the new millennium! I also had a ton of fun working with the guys this season - a first for Carmen as he launches his new men’s collection!
50 SHADES OF GREY
1) Establish a deep side part prep the hair with Kérastase Volumactive spray and Volumifique mousse at the base.
2) Blow dry using large round brush for volume.
3) To create waves, use a marcel iron and starting at the top of the section, set the first subsection toward the face and the next subsection away from the face and so on to create a soft and sexy s-shape wave around the face.
4) After the whole head is set and cooled, gently brush out the set using a Mason Pearson brush.
5)Back comb the underside of the hair for volume, keeping the top smooth.
6)Gather hair in the back toward the side of the part and shape into a rose-like chignon, and pin.
7)Use your personal touch to pull pieces and create softness around the face keeping the opposite side super sleek.
8) Finish using Kérastase Laque Dentelle flexible hold.
1) Wet down the hair and prep using Kérastase Form Fatale, Mousse Boufante and L'oréal Volume Elévation
2) Establish a deep part on the right side.
3) Blowdry using a denman brush, fluffing the hair up and back away from the face and keeping the right side very tight and sleek.
4) Using Kérastase Elixir Ultime smooth the sides down and the left side back.
5) Spray with Kérastase Laque Dentelle flexible hold hairspray and use your fingers to create texture and ridges throughout the hair, finish with a little more hairspray and the look is complete!